Monday, September 23, 2013

"The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity....."

Plato wrote, "Necessity, the mother of invention".

What about boredom?  I usually get into all kinds of trouble when I am bored.  And how about bored...with a camera?  This could have had disaster written all over it.  Good thing I was bored and lazy.  I was only willing to go as far as my lenses could take me today.

I decided to wait for Mara on the first floor of the Student Union.  I had an hour to kill and believe me, there are some sights to see on campus, if you know HOW to look.

Today, I was intrigued by the shading on the windows along the front half of the building which gets the afternoon sun.  Pretty ingenious.  A grid pattern of small gray dots that can easily be seen through but still have a sunshade effect.  Sitting there next to the window, my eyes kept focusing on the spots then on the scene outside, the spots - the scene, the spots - the scene.

This got me to wondering if I could get my camera to do the same thing!  "Not so", said my pancake lens.  So I got out my 18-135mm, put it on Manual Focus (I'm not patient enough to keep trying to get the Auto Focus to work for me), and took a couple of shots.  Campus Police were parked at Griffin Hall so I at least had something interesting to shoot.  Cool!  There were some fascinating designs going on in my photos.  This had me thinking....when Mara gets there, she's going outside and let me takes some pictures of her - like it or not.

I explained what I wanted and she was a willing victim, er...model.

I fancy my photographs - if you use your imagination really hard - call to mind Pop-Artist Roy Lichtenstein's beautiful paintings.  Google him...I promise you won't be sorry.

So...here are my interpretations.

Enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment