Friday, October 28, 2016

“If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities.” ~Maya Angelou

So...

Several months ago, Pappy started researching prices on laminate hardwood flooring for the living room.  The carpet in there was pretty sad...along with the carpet on the stairs.  I mean...who in their right mind puts WHITE carpet in a house...the WHOLE house?  Needless to say, the 15 years we have lived there has compounded the situation. 

Well, I told him, since he was replacing the flooring, the walls needed to be painted, also.  Which lead to new art, new curtains, new room size rug, new furniture, new blinds....

So, I decided I was going to document some of the progress here.  The only thing I forgot to do was take a photo of the very beginning of the process.  A "before" photo.  You know, the old art, sofa, carpet, etc.  Well, I spent an hour tonight looking through the 17,000 photos on the hard drive I carry with me for some kind of photo showing all of the above.  No such luck.  I DID find one from 2013 with the old sofa...and Emily and Pappy.


See how boring and dull the wall color is?  And "not white" the carpet is?  I found another photo of the mantle, and the art that was hanging over it, before the makeover.  Oh yeah, Mara and Dylan are in the way, but you can still see the art.


I should have started documenting with the painting, but alas, I'm a loser and didn't think of it.  Mara and Pappy did an awesome job, didn't they??! 

Well, here are the photos of the new flooring being laid.  We already had the art on the walls to keep from having to move the furniture around on the new floor. 





 
The installers pulled up the old carpet and carried it outside in less than 15 minutes.  I couldn't believe how fast that part went!





Then came the first piece of flooring!


It was so exciting!  I couldn't believe how quickly the floor was installed.  The two guys were fairly efficient and had a large portion down before we ordered pizzas for everyone...and I had to get some sleep.




They were there until about 9pm but didn't get completely finished.  The lead guy came back the next day to install the quarter-round molding and the transitions between the bedroom carpeting and the laminate.  There were some hiccups, (they forgot to send the molding and the bullnose for the stairs - but Pappy sent "Jason the Enforcer" up to Lowe's to get them...at no charge) but all-in-all the living room turned out REALLY nice.



There was another installer for the carpeting on the stairs.  I don't have any photos of that, yet.  Pappy wants to have the foyer painted, also, but that is going to have to be done by someone else.  There is no way we could do it ourselves...the entryway is open 2 stories and it will require scaffolding.  There is no way anyone in our house should EVER be up on scaffolding.  EVER.

Tomorrow, I will have the "after" photos.  It has been quite the transformation!

“How does one become butterfly?' Pooh asked pensively.
'You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar,' Piglet replied.
'You mean to die?' asked Pooh.
'Yes and no,' he answered. 'What looks like you will die, but what's really you will live on.”

A.A. Milne

No comments:

Post a Comment