Sunday, October 12, 2014

“Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it” ~Confucius

Well doggies...

I guess I am going to spend several days working on these cemetery photos.  We DID visit three of them yesterday - Calvary Cemetery, United Jewish Cemetery and Walnut Hills Cemetery. 

I am a little obsessed... 

The architecture and monuments are beyond words.  Cincinnati was home to some of the most talented stone masons in the world.  Take a look at the buildings and architecture in this area - gorgeous.  And think about what skill is involved in carving just one of the monuments in any of the cemeteries.  Makes my heart go pitter-patter.

Well, lets get on with it.  This first batch is from Calvary Cemetery on Duck Creek Road.  Pretty place with the creepiest building.  We weren't sure if it was the chapel or not, but the rear of the building butted up against a large mound, almost like it had an underground backroom.  The most disturbing thing was the chimney-like air vent in the middle of the mound.  I think I'll research that one. 

We didn't encounter very many "girls" the whole trip, either.  "Girls" are my way of chatting up the female figures.  Yeah, yeah...I talk to the statues.

The variety of trees we found was exceptional, also.  I can imagine some of them were well over 100 years old.  It's amazing that you can drive by an area so many times and not realize what it contains.  Even though we were right by the expressway, it was like we were transported to a magical space. 

So much beauty and wildlife is contained within the boundaries of a cemetery.  Everyone should visit, just for that experience alone.


















No comments:

Post a Comment